Support services and other help

We can provide separated parents support and information to help with their family situation.

Emotional support

Getting help over the phone

Call 000 if you’re in immediate danger.

For counselling and support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

For support during a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. They’re open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

MensLine offers telephone and online counselling for men.

Our social workers can help you with counselling, support and information during difficult times.

Getting help for family and domestic violence

Find out how to get help with family and domestic violence. We provide information, resources and referrals.

Getting help online

Family Relationships Online help families build better relationships. They have a range of services and information for parenting after a separation. Read more on the Family Relationships website.

Relationships Australia offer services like counselling and family dispute resolution or mediation. Read more on the Relationships Australia website.

Find out how to get help with the costs of mental health care.

Manage your money

We have tips and information on our manage your money pages to help you get on top of your finances.

Our Rent Deduction Scheme is a free, secure service to pay your government housing rent from your Centrelink payments.

Centrepay is a free service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Centrelink Deduction Statements help you track your deductions.

Use the Moneysmart website for a guide to private renting. It includes information on how to get bond assistance in your state or territory.

You can also find a free financial counsellor on the National Debt Helpline website.

Sometimes it’s hard to keep your money on track after a divorce or separation. Use the divorce and separation financial checklist on the Moneysmart website to get your money on track.

Saver Plus is a matched savings and financial education program offered locally by community organisations in every state and territory. Read more about it on the Brotherhood of St Laurence website.

Check if you qualify for a no interest loan from Good Shepherd. These loans provide safe, fair and affordable credit for essential goods and services. You can pay this loan back through Centrepay.

International support

If you live overseas, the following services may be able to provide support. The following links take you away from our website.

Country Website How they can help
New Zealand Ministry of Social Development Family Services directory A list of service providers that can help families.
United Kingdom

UK government GOV.UK

Separating and divorcing information on GOV.UK

Information and online services all in one place.

Support for separated families.

United States of America

US government's official web portal

US Department of Health and Human Services How Do Our Partners Help webpage

Government information and services online.

Information about services for separated parents.

Canada Department of Justice directory Services by province or territory, and by type of service.

Page last updated: 6 June 2022