Older Australians

If you get an older Australian’s payment from us there are no changes to your payment due to coronavirus.

You can get some of your super early if you're in financial stress due to COVID-19. Read more about Superannuation changes if you're affected by coronavirus.

If you’re concerned about coming to a service centre to do business with us you can use our self service options.

Economic Support Payment

You may get 1 or both Economic Support Payments. These will be paid as part of your normal payment.

We’ll pay you the first Economic Support Payment if between 12 March 2020 and 13 April 2020 you’re both:

  • living in Australia
  • getting an eligible payment.

You may get a second $750 Economic Support Payment if you get an eligible payment or concession card on 10 July 2020.

You don’t need to do anything, we’ll pay it straight into your bank account.

Options for updating your details

You can report your income by calling the Income reporting line to use phone self service. You can also use one of the online options below.

Tell us about changes to your circumstances, including if you start or stop working, using any of these options:

You can also view, update or add income and asset information using your Centrelink online account. Use our online guide to help you.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the older Australians line.

Transfer to Age Pension

If you’re Age Pension age and get an eligible payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension. We’ll invite you to apply to transfer to Age Pension 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age.

If you get Partner Allowance or Widow Allowance, call us on the Older Australians line to discuss your options. These payments are closed, so if you transfer to Age Pension you cannot transfer back. It may be financially better for you to stay on your current payment during this time.

Telehealth options

If you’re over 70 you can get a bulk billed consultation by video conference or telephone. It can be with any of these health professionals:

  • GP
  • specialist
  • allied mental health professional
  • nurse practitioner.

Contact your health professional to organise a consultation.

Direct deposit payments overseas

There are no changes to the way we’re paying direct deposit payments to customers outside Australia. We may need to temporarily pay you in another currency. This is if you live in a country affected by COVID-19 related financial market trading restrictions.

If you provide us with your bank account details we can arrange to pay you by direct deposit. To do this, download and complete the International bank account form.

Once you’ve completed the form you can send it to:

Centrelink International Services
PO Box 7809
Canberra BC ACT 2610

Correspondence overseas

If you live overseas, we’ve extended the timeframes for you to return correspondence to us. If you’ve received a letter from us requesting information, you’ll have 6 months to reply.

We may send you a Proof of Life Certificate form. We’ve also extended the required time you need to complete and return this form.

Family and domestic violence

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence, we can help. We provide information, support and referrals.

Page last updated: 26 June 2020