For prescriptions written under the emergency provision arrangements you must:
- not exceed the maximum quantity and repeats listed in the PBS Schedule on the PBS website
- include the words Emergency authorised by the Services Australia Medicare Program
- note the time and date you tried to call.
For drugs on the Highly Specialised Drugs Program, you must include:
- the letters HSD
- the hospital provider number - not required for Community Access HSD
- the number of days of treatment.
You can’t write increased quantities and repeats above the PBS Schedule quantity under the emergency provision arrangements. You need to call back at a later time to get authority approval.
You can’t dispense prescriptions with no authority approval annotated as a PBS subsidised item.