Approved Pathology Authorities
To apply as an Approved Pathology Authority (APA), you must meet certain criteria.
- own an Accredited Pathology Laboratory (APL) that is going to claim Medicare benefits, and
- meet the requirements in the Approved Pathology Authority Undertaking
How to apply
- fill in the Approved Pathology Authority application, renewal or amendment form
- get an authorised witness to witness your signature
- pay the fee and send us proof of payment with your application
- make sure the time between when you sign the application and send it to us is less than 2 months
- upload your application through Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) or post or fax it to us.
If you’re making a renewal, please apply no more than 3 months before your current approval status expires.
Read more about using HPOS.
What happens next
Once approved, we’ll send you a unique APA number with your approval dates. This is valid for 12 months.
We’ll ask you to renew your APA 11 weeks before it expires. You need to:
- complete the Approved Pathology Authority application, renewal or amendment form, and
- pay the renewal fee of $1,500 (no GST).
When your circumstances change
You must tell us in writing if your circumstances change. This includes if you've bought or merged with another APA, or acquired some of the business.
You'll need to complete and send us an Approved Pathology Authority acquisition or merger advice form.
Read more about pathology services for health professionals.
Page last updated: 8 May 2019
This information was printed 10 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/topics/approved-pathology-authorities/45951. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.