Claims and amounts not eligible
There are claims and amounts that aren’t eligible under the ROCS.
What incidents you can’t seek payment for
You can’t submit a ROCS application for an incident or a series of related incidents if:
- they didn’t occur as part of a person’s practice as a medical practitioner
- the claim wasn’t made against the medical practitioner
- you were notified about them before 1 July 2004
- you aren’t liable to pay in relation to the claim
- they aren’t normally covered in your ordinary course of business.
What amounts you can’t claim
You can’t claim GST under the ROCS.
You also can’t claim an amount if:
- another party has responsibility to pay it
- it’s an insurer to insurer payment
- the cost wasn’t incurred in relation to the incident
- the judgment or settlement amounts are still within the appeal period or have been appealed or stayed.
Page last updated: 28 October 2020
This information was printed 10 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/run-cover-indemnity-scheme-rocs/what-claims-are-eligible/claims-and-amounts-not-eligible. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.