Prescriber eligibility for highly specialised drugs.
To prescribe HSDs under the PBS, a prescriber must be:
- affiliated with the hospital the patient is receiving treatment from and be either:
- a staff hospital specialist, or
- a visiting or consulting specialist of the hospital
- an accredited prescriber of medication for the treatment of hepatitis C who is approved by a state or territory to prescribe medication for the treatment of hepatitis C and act under a special arrangement for maintenance therapy only
- an accredited prescriber of medication for the treatment of HIV or AIDS who is approved by a state or territory to prescribe medication for the treatment of HIV or AIDS under a special arrangement
- a medical practitioner prescribing maintenance therapy when it is impractical to get a prescription from the treating affiliated specialist medical practitioner and the specialist has agreed to the prescription, or
- a medical practitioner whom the Commonwealth and the state or territory government has agreed may prescribe medication for maintenance therapy
Page last updated: 22 February 2019
This information was printed 29 July 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/highly-specialised-drugs/about/prescriber-eligibility. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.