Characteristics of professional associations
The characteristics your professional association must have for you to be eligible to get an individual healthcare provider identifier (HPI-I).
If you’re not registered under a National Registration Authority Scheme such as the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra), we’ll ask you to provide evidence of registration with a professional association when you apply for a individual provider identifier (HPI-I).
Before applying, make sure your professional association has the following characteristics.
The professional association must:
- have national uniform registration requirements
- be a separate legal entity under a law of the Commonwealth or a State or Territory.
It must also:
- have members who practise the same healthcare profession
- have enough membership to be considered representative of the healthcare profession practised by its members
- aim to maintain the standing of the healthcare profession practised by its members
- set its own admission requirements, including acceptable qualifications
- set requirements to maintain its members’ professional skills and knowledge by continuing professional development
- set and publish its own standards of practice and ethical conduct
- have its own written rules, articles of association, by‑laws or codes of conduct for its members
- have the ability to impose sanctions on members who contravene the association’s written rules, articles of association, by‑laws or codes of conduct.
Members of the association must be able to:
- take part in decisions affecting their profession
- have the right to vote at meetings of the association
- have the right to be recognised as being members of the professional association.
Professional associations are not required to have the characteristics to function as legitimate associations. However, to be eligible for a HPI-I, you must be a member of one that does.
Page last updated: 22 June 2020
This information was printed 11 August 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/medicare/healthcare-identifiers-service-health-professionals/resources/characteristics-professional-associations. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.