There is a consistent national approach for how home care packages are assigned to eligible care recipients through My Aged Care.
Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACATs) approve care recipients for home care at a specific package level – 1, 2, 3 or 4.
The process for becoming an approved provider will be streamlined in the following ways:
- approved providers of residential care and flexible care can apply to provide home care through a specific application process
- approved provider status will no longer lapse after 2 years
- approved providers no longer need to apply for home care places through an Aged Care Approvals Round (ACAR), they can adjust the services they offer to meet demand across different service areas and home care package levels.
What’s not changing under the reform
Things not changing under the reform include:
- existing care recipients receive services at their current home care package level
- fee and income testing arrangements remain unchanged
- claims and payments are made through the existing Aged Care Payment System
- home care subsidy and supplements are paid to you and not directly to care recipients
- packages are delivered on a consumer directed care basis
- you still need to meet relevant quality and accreditation standards
- the total number of home care packages across the country is still capped
- you still need to send us an Aged Care Entry Record (ACER) within 28 days of a client starting their home care package – it’s important to send us the ACER early to reduce the chance of a client having their home care package withdrawn.
Factsheets and other resources are available for home care providers and care recipients on the Health website.
Page last updated: 22 October 2019
This information was printed 18 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/increasing-choice-home-care/you-need-know. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.