Aged Care Funding Instrument
We use the Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) to work out residential care subsidies for each permanent resident.
What is ACFI
We subsidise the costs of running approved residential aged care homes. The amount you get depends on your residents’ ongoing care needs. To work this out, we use the ACFI.
The amount you get can affect how much a resident pays in fees.
When to apply
You can apply for an ACFI classification with us after a resident is in your care for 28 days.
After you get an ACFI classification from us, you’ll need to complete appraisals and reappraisals.
You must complete an ACFI appraisal either:
- 7 days after the resident enters your care
- before the resident has been with you for 2 months.
Penalties apply for late appraisals. If you submit your appraisal:
- within 3 months after the appraisal end date – we’ll reduce your subsidy by $25 each day until we get the form
- more than 3 months after the appraisal end date – you won’t get a subsidy until after we get the application for classification form.
You must conduct a mandatory ACFI reappraisal when:
- the classification expires
- we request a reappraisal of a care recipient.
You can also conduct a voluntary ACFI reappraisal either:
- 12 months after the resident’s classification took effect
- any time a resident is classified at the lowest level
- within 2 months of a resident transferring, and the new provider doesn’t agree with their classification
- when a resident has had a significant change in care needs
- when a resident has incorrectly been classified at the lowest level.
How to apply
You can send your ACFI form to us either:
- through the Aged Care Provider Portal
- by post to:
Aged Care Payments team
GPO Box 9923
Sydney NSW 2001
To register for Aged Care Provider Portal complete the Register, amend or remove users for Aged Care Provider Portal form.
Read more about ACFI on the Department of Health’s website.
Page last updated: 8 July 2021
This information was printed 27 November 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/services/aged-care-funding-instrument. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.