Changes to Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS) surgical items
17 June 2021
From 1 July, there’ll be changes to MBS items for general, orthopaedic, and cardiac surgery services.
These changes are a result of the MBS Review Taskforce recommendations and extensive consultation with all key stakeholders.
- ensure services are clinically appropriate
- reflect modern clinical practice
- improve quality of care and safety for patients.
Summary of what’s changing:
- General surgery – 35 new items, 50 amended items and 73 deleted items
- Orthopaedic surgery – 168 new items, 280 amended items, 9 deleted items and 137 superseded items
- Cardiac surgery– 39 new items, 92 amended items and 59 deleted items.
More information is available at MBS Online:
- General surgery fact sheet
- Orthopaedic surgery fact sheet
- Modernising Cardiac surgical services fact sheet.
Page last updated: 25 June 2021
This information was printed 13 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/news/changes-medical-benefits-schedule-mbs-surgical-items. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.