Changes to MBS item numbers for cardiac imaging services
18 August 2020
Make sure you know the right item numbers to use when you claim cardiac imaging services for your patients.
On 1 August 2020, the Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS) items for cardiac imaging services changed.
If you provide, refer or work in a practice that offers cardiac imaging services, then you need to know:
- 29 new items were added to the MBS
- 18 items were removed from the MBS
- the explanatory notes have been updated
- private health classifications for patients have changed.
The changes are part of the MBS review to deliver high quality and cost effective services for patients.
What you need to do
Make sure you:
- familiarise yourself with the new the MBS items and explanatory notes so you can correctly claim for services
- inform patients about their options for cardiac imaging services and what best suits their personal situation.
Read more about:
- providing and claiming Medicare ultrasound services.
- the MBS Review on the Department of Health website.
Make sure you know when you’ll get your PBS Online payments from us.
The eLearning has been developed for health professionals to connect patients to the support services they need.
Page last updated: 18 August 2020
This information was printed 24 November 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/health-professionals/news/changes-mbs-item-numbers-cardiac-imaging-services. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.