Help older Australians in your community to self serve
15 April 2021
Helping older Australians to use our self service options may protect their health.
Helping older Australians to contact us from their home means they don’t need to join the queue in a service centre.
To encourage self service, explain the options older Australians can choose from. Then they can decide the option that suits them best. Sometimes all they need is a little help to get them started.
- have a computer, they can use myGov to access their Centrelink online account
- have a mobile phone, they might use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- don’t like using computers, they can use phone self service
- need to talk to someone in their language, they can call the Multilingual phone service.
They can also call the Older Australians line and we can explain these options to them.
What they can do from their home
Our self service options let all Australians do so many things with us without leaving their home.
Let older Australians know they can use a self service option to:
- prove their identity
- upload documents
- tell us about a change in their circumstances
- check the progress of a claim
- set up and manage a nominee arrangement
- check current scam alerts.
There are also step by step guides if they need extra help.
To keep older Australians in your community up to date, encourage them to:
- read more News for older Australians
- connect with us onSeniors Update Facebook
- watch the videos in the Information for older Australians playlist on the Services Australia YouTube channel
- check out the online safety information on the Australian Government’s Be Connected website.
Page last updated: 15 April 2021
This information was printed 13 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/community/news/help-older-australians-your-community-self-serve. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.