Education and training providers

Information, support and resources about student payments you can share with students.

About student payments

We provide financial support to help with the cost of studying. Watch our video to get an overview of student payments.

Main payments for students

There are 4 main payments for students and Australian Apprentices.

Youth Allowance is financial help for people 24 or younger and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

Austudy is financial help for people 25 or older and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or Australian Apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is financial help for parents and carers whose children can't attend a local state school. They must be unable to attend because of any of the following:

  • geographical isolation
  • disability
  • special needs.

Payments for students moving away from home to study

Students may get help from us if they need to move away from home to study. You can let students know we have payments that may help them with travel costs.

Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment. It’s for students who need to move from a regional or remote area for higher education study. Students must also get ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance or Energy Supplement.

Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between a student’s permanent home and place of tertiary study in Australia.

Tertiary Access Payment helps students with the cost of moving from an outer regional or remote area for tertiary study.

ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps pay for travel costs for students who get ABSTUDY and need to live away from home. It helps pay for travel between the student’s home and place of study.

Boarding schools and hostels have an important role in helping students get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.

ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option helps eligible students pay residential costs while living away from home to study.

Other payments and support for students

Students and Australian Apprentices may also be eligible for extra help.

Education Entry Payment is an annual payment. We pay this when students start study and get certain income support from us.

Pensioner Education Supplement is an extra payment. It helps with study costs if students get certain income support from us.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan. Students can get it up to twice a year, if they’re an eligible higher education student.

Read more about our range of payments for students and trainees.

Help students keep their payment

You can help ensure students keep their payment by sharing information with them.

You can remind students to keep us updated if their circumstances change. This includes:

  • changes to their study load
  • changes to their living arrangements
  • starting or stopping paid work.

Education providers can have an important role in helping students access payments including:

You might need to claim ABSTUDY Fares Allowance or get an ABSTUDY or AIC payment on behalf of a student.

Read about ABSTUDY Fares Allowance information for boarding schools and hostels.

ABSTUDY boarding providers

If we pay ABSTUDY to you to cover boarding fees, your students must be physically attending school. We won’t pay for students who aren’t attending school face to face.

You need to let us know if either of the following apply to a student:

  • they’re no longer enrolled at the school
  • they leave the boarding place during the term.

What students can do online

Most students can self manage certain transactions through our different channels.

Students can use their Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to:

  • claim student payments
  • report employment income
  • update address details
  • request income statements
  • claim an advance payment
  • submit documents.

How we use tertiary students’ data

As part of reporting requirements, tertiary education providers send student data to the Department of Education, Skills and Employment. Both Higher Education Loan Program and VET Student Loan providers need to report student data to government.

We get this data through the Tertiary Collection of Student Information service. We use the data to check with students if their study details are correct. If a student gets a payment from us and changes their study details, we may send them a letter. We’ll ask them to update their study details so we can check they’re still eligible for a payment.

Read more about Centrelink data matching activities.

Information you can share with students

You can read all our information about student payments on our website.

You can download materials from our education and training providers resource. It contains materials you can print and display in schools or your local area.

We also have resources in a variety of channels you can share with students. Read about how you can help students with Centrelink payments.

Don’t forget, you can use the customise and print feature on our website. This means you can create your own brochure of information from our main student pages.

We also have some student and general information available to order as printed products. You can order these publications online.

We update our publications as needed. You can read the most up to date information on our website. Remember to bookmark pages you access regularly.

Tools and services to help you

There are a range of tools and services available for education and training providers.

Follow Services Australia on Facebook. You can ask general questions and get updates about payments and services. You can also share information through your own channels.

Subscribe to our eNewsletters for students and trainees or community groups. The newsletters highlight changes, important updates and timely reminders.

For more information about payments, you can also view these videos on our YouTube channel:

We also have online guides for more information on:

For current payment rates you can download A Guide to Australian Government Payments, updated quarterly.

ABSTUDY resources for community groups, including the ABSTUDY eKit, can help you share information about ABSTUDY.

Payment and Service Finder helps you find, estimate and compare payments and services.

The Study Assist website has information for students. It covers government assistance for financing tertiary study.

The online estimators let students estimate or compare payments on current or proposed circumstances.

Australian businesses can securely exchange documents and information with us using the Centrelink Information Exchange Service.

Student Regional Area Search service can determine whether a student or their family live in a regional or remote area.

The Education Institutions eService helps you determine ABSTUDY assistance online.

Page last updated: 15 July 2021