Census might mean updating your study details

28 August 2020

If you’ve decided to change your study, you need to let us know.

With census date approaching, you might be thinking about changing your studies. Maybe dropping a subject, changing your course or deferring study until next year.

Census date is when your university finalises your enrolment. After this date you’re liable to pay the fees for the course you’re enrolled in. You can find your university’s census date on their website.

If you get a student payment, it’s important that you tell us about changes to your circumstances within 14 days.

If you’ve dropped a subject

If you’ve dropped a subject, you may need to update your study details. You may have reduced your study load and may not be a full time student. If that’s so, you may not be eligible for a student payment anymore.

To get Youth Allowance as a student, ABSTUDY or Austudy, you usually need to be studying full time. Full time means you’re studying at least 75% of the equivalent full time study load (EFTSL).

If you’ve changed courses

If you’ve changed courses you need to let us know, even if you’re at the same university. We consider this a new course for your student payment.

Make sure your new course is an approved course for a student payment. If it’s not, your payment will stop.

How to tell us about changes

You can update your study details and changes to your circumstances online using either:

Open the app and log into your account. Select Profile at the bottom of the screen, then study details.

Or sign in to myGov and go to the menu in your Centrelink online account. Select my details. Then choose personal and contact details and manage study details.

Next steps

You can ask questions at Student Update onFacebook or Twitter. Remember, you shouldn't share your personal details in a public space like social media.

Read more news for students and trainees. Don’t forget to subscribe so we can send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 28 August 2020