Improvements WPIT has delivered
We’ve transformed the way we work to make small changes often, so you can experience real improvements sooner.
We’re making it easier for you to access government payments and services. We’ve made a number of improvements to save you time and energy.
What changes we’ve made
A new digital platform makes it quick and easy for you to make an online claim.
Additional benefits include:
- more online claim options
- the introduction of up-front eligibility questions to make sure you claim the right payment
- pre-filled customer claim forms, using information you’ve already given us
- a new online claim tracker, allowing you to see the progress of your claim
- an enhanced Payment and Service Finder tool
- the ability to make an online claim on a mobile device
- fewer online claims questions which are easier to understand.
We’ve made a number of changes to how we process your claims. These have streamlined transfers from 1 payment to another, and introduced:
- faster claim outcomes for some Students, Job Seekers and Low Income Health Care Cards
- faster claim outcomes for some customers transferring to Age Pension
- verbal claims which have removed the need for some customers to sign and return paper forms.
We’ve made a number of changes to make it easier for you to manage your business online. Some examples include:
- renewing your Low Income Health Care Card
- allowing Students to advise when they start or stop work
- allowing job seekers to cancel their own payments
- allowing referees to verify relationship statuses online, instead of filling out a paper form
- updating your preferences for your partner to enquire about your payments and services.
We introduced Digital Assistants in our online channels to help answer questions you have.
We have made it easier for you to identify and upload the documents you need to give to us online.
We’ve streamlined the document upload process to allow you to submit larger files.
We’ve updated our written material, using language that’s easy to understand.
We’ve also added an Acknowledgement of Country to our online services. This recognises our cultural heritage and commitment to reconciliation.
What payments we’ve improved
We’ve made a lot of changes and there’s still more to do. Here are some examples of what we’ve achieved so far:
Payments for Older Australians
We’ve made it easier for you to claim the following payments online
- Age Pension
- Pensioner Education Supplement.
We’ve streamlined the online claims process if you’re transferring from Carer Payment or Disability Support Pensions to Age Pension. We’ve also made it easier for nominees to claim on your behalf.
If your partner wants to claim Age Pension as well, you might be able to make a combined online claim.
Payments for students and trainees
We’ve changed the online claim form and processing procedures for students and trainees. This has reduced the number of questions from 117 to 37.
If you’re a student you can now go online to:
- book a Social Worker appointment as part of your online claim process
- advise us that you’ve started work
- cancel your payment.
Indigenous tertiary students and apprentices can also now claim ABSTUDY Living Allowance and Incidentals online.
Payments for Carers
You can now use our combined form to claim both:
- Carer Payment
- Carer Allowance.
You can now do the Carer Allowance questionnaire in your Centrelink online account if you both:
- get Carer Allowance
- no longer live with the person you’re caring for.
You’ll get the questionnaire when you update your address in your online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
Where to next
We’ll continue to modernise welfare payments and services.
We’re working to:
- deliver further improvements to online claims and services
- roll out a new job seeker payment
- simplify identity processes
- improve your digital experience with viewing and updating Income and Assets
- improve your ability to report and manage your employment income online.
We’ll simplify our payments and services further by:
- enabling you to maintain your payments and services through streamlining the process for uploading documents
- making it easier for you to update your Address, Accommodation and Rent details.
We’ll provide faster outcomes by:
- delivering a new and improved data exchange platform
- using data from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment and the Australian Taxation Office to help keep your information up to date
- using analytics to proactively provide support to those who need it.
We’ll ask you to verify the information we have and allow you to update or add your details.
We’ll deliver new systems that provide you with a consistent experience, including:
- a new Payment Utility platform that will deliver combined, same-day payments, more detailed payment information and simpler debt repayment processes
- a new Entitlement Calculation Engine, a flexible system that will calculate your entitlements.
Page last updated: 24 February 2020
This information was printed 18 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/about-us/continuous-improvement-activities/welfare-payment-infrastructure-transformation-wpit-programme/improvements-wpit-has-delivered. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.