Who we’re looking for in the Indigenous Apprenticeships Program
We’re looking for Indigenous peoples who want to join the Australian Public Service (APS) make a difference in the lives of all Australians.
Applications for the 2021 Indigenous Apprenticeships Program (IAP) are now closed.
This program is an exciting opportunity for people new to the APS who want to:
- learn new skills
- gain valuable workplace experience
- complete a formal qualification.
It doesn’t matter where you’re from or what age you are, you just need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Past apprentices have come from all over Australia and are from all age groups. Last year, apprentices joined from:
- cities including Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Newcastle and Canberra
- regional areas including Cairns, Alice Springs, Thursday Island, Murgon, Grootye Eylandt, Ulverstone, Karratha and Home Hill.
We’re looking for people who:
- identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- are keen to learn
- want to make a positive difference in the lives of Australians
- want to start their career in the APS.
To be eligible to apply, you must confirm your:
- Indigenous heritage
- Australian citizenship.
You must provide confirmation of heritage and proof of citizenship as part of your application.
This program is for new entrants to the APS. It does not ordinarily suit candidates who are already ongoing employees in the APS.
Skills and qualifications
The program is all about on-the-job training, so you don’t need any experience or qualifications. We prefer if you’ve completed year 10.
The skills you’ll learn will vary depending on the department or agency you’re working for. They may include:
- drafting documents
- corporate and customer support
- managing travel
- stakeholder management.
Page last updated: 6 January 2021
This information was printed 6 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/about-us/careers/employment-options/indigenous-apprenticeships-program/who-were-looking-indigenous-apprenticeships-program. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.