The Cost of Living Payment is a one-off payment. It’s not taxable and you don’t need to report it as income for income support purposes.
To get it, you must be a Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) customer. You must be residing in Australia on 29 March 2022 and either:
- getting an eligible payment
- have an eligible concession card.
You only get one payment even if you have both an eligible payment and concession card.
The eligible payments are all of these:
- ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- Age Pension
- Carer Payment
- Carer Allowance, but only if you’re not getting another income support payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Double Orphan Pension
- Farm Household Allowance
- JobSeeker Payment
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices
- Youth Allowance for job seekers
- eligible Veterans’ Affairs payments.
The eligible concession cards are all of these:
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Pension Concession Card if you’re not getting an income support payment
- DVA Gold Cards.
Read more about the cost of living support for veterans and families on the DVA website.
You don’t need to apply. The Cost of Living Payment is paid automatically. Payments will start from the end of April 2022.
We’ll send you a letter confirming your payment has been made.
Read more about the Cost of Living Payment.
Subscribe to news
RSS News feed
Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.