Moving to study? The Tertiary Access Payment could help

10 February 2022

You could get up to $5,000 if you’re from a regional or remote area and moving to study this year.

The Tertiary Access Payment is a one-off payment you can get in your first year of tertiary study. It’s to help with the costs of moving to study after year 12 with no gap year.

You can get up to:

  • $3,000 if your family home is in an inner regional area
  • $5,000 if your family home is in an outer regional or remote area.

You need to meet some other rules to get the payment, including:

  • studying a course that’s certificate IV or above, that lasts for at least a year
  • moving to study at a tertiary education provider that’s at least 90 minutes from your family home by public transport
  • studying full time
  • being an Australian resident.

You can claim from 1 January in your first year of study. You can be studying a university or VET course.

You don’t need to be claiming another payment from Centrelink to get the Tertiary Access Payment. You’re still able to claim the Tertiary Access Payment if you’re getting another payment. This includes Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Student Start-Up Loan and the Relocation Scholarship.

Next steps

Find out more about who can get the Tertiary Access Payment and how to claim.

If you’re eligible, claim now using your myGov account linked to your Centrelink online account.

You can read more about the Tertiary Access Payment on the Department of Education website.

Subscribe to news

If you haven't already, please subscribe to our News and we'll send you regular news highlights. You can also opt out at any time. Read more about our email news privacy policy.

Life events

RSS News feed

Our RSS service alerts you to updates to this page. You can connect to our RSS feeds with your favourite RSS reader.

News for Education RSS feed

Page last updated: 1 August 2022