- You must apply for a unique provider number for each place of practice and profession you practise in.
- You can’t claim a Medicare benefit until we have issued your provider number for that location.
- You can’t use anyone else’s Medicare provider number.
- You aren’t eligible to claim Medicare benefits if we’ve suspended your membership or registration or if it has expired. You’re also no longer eligible if your membership level has changed.
- If you don’t have access to Medicare, you must let patients know before you treat them that they won’t get a Medicare benefit for your services.
Eligibility to access Medicare benefits
We determine eligibility to access Medicare benefits using the Health Insurance Act 1973 (the Act) and related regulations.
Recognition for Medicare benefits
Once you’re recognised you can access items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
Apply for a provider number or prescriber number
How to apply for an initial Medicare provider number, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescriber number or additional provider numbers.