Submit your claim if you didn’t do a pre-birth claim
If you didn’t do a pre-birth claim, you can start a claim after the birth of your baby.
You can claim for the following payments and services:
- Family Tax Benefit, including Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement
- Parental Leave Pay
- Dad and Partner Pay.
To claim and submit your proof of birth online:
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payment and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started.
- Select Apply for Family Assistance (including Paid Parental Leave).
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
If you don’t have a myGov account, create one and link it to your Centrelink online account.
When we process a claim for your child, we’ll create a Customer Reference Number (CRN) for them. You can find your child’s CRN in your:
- Centrelink online account by selecting My Profile from the homepage, then My family
- Express Plus Centrelink mobile app in the My family tab.
To enrol for Medicare services
When you finalise your pre-birth claim for family assistance payments, we’ll enrol your child for Medicare services. You don’t need to give us the proof of birth again.
Page last updated: 10 September 2021
This information was printed 22 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/submit-your-claim-if-you-didnt-do-pre-birth-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.