I’m a parent

Upcoming changes to families payments because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Timeline of upcoming changes


    December 2020

    From 7 December 2020, there were changes to the way you report your income if you get Parenting Payment. You now need to report the gross employment income you’ve been paid in your reporting period, rather than the amount you earned.

    The Economic Support Payment is an extra payment to support people impacted by COVID-19. You would have got the payment automatically during December 2020 if you were:

    You wouldn't have got this Economic Support Payment if you were getting the Coronavirus Supplement.



    Check if the national public holidays will impact your reporting and payment dates.

    From 1 January 2021, you may need to give us an employment separation certificate and payslips when claiming an income support payment. We’ll tell you in the claim.

    From 1 January 2021, the temporary Coronavirus Supplement is available at a rate of $150 per fortnight.

    As a result of the Coronavirus Supplement extension, you’ll need to check and update your family income estimate. Keep in mind, the Coronavirus Supplement is a taxable income. You must include all amounts you and your partner expect to get for the whole financial year.

    Families who use child care in Victoria can now get an extra 45 allowable absence days.

    You can apply for extra Child Care Subsidy hours if your family is doing less activity because of COVID-19. If you’re eligible, you can access extra hours between 13 July 2020 and 4 April 2021. Read more about extra hours because of COVID-19.

    To get Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay you need to meet a work test. If COVID-19 affected your work, you may be able to use an extended work test when you claim. You’ll be able to do this online from 7 December 2020.

    You can access the extended work test when both of the following apply:

    • you don’t meet the standard work test because your employment hours reduced, or you stopped work, due to COVID-19
    • your child’s birth or adoption is between 22 March 2020 and 31 March 2021.

    Read more about changes to the work test.



    In response to COVID-19, you may have had a break from repaying money you owe. This break ends in February 2021. We'll let you know before you need to start repaying the money again.



    Our temporary waiver for waiting periods ends on 31 March 2021. After this date, the waiting periods might apply again. This includes the:

    The temporary Coronavirus Supplement ends on 31 March 2021.

    The Economic Support Payment is an extra payment to support people impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19).

    You’ll get the payment during March 2021 if you’re:

    You don’t need to claim the payment, we’ll pay you automatically. You won’t get the Economic Support Payment if you’re getting the Coronavirus Supplement.



    On 16 April 2021, the nil payment period we extended due to COVID-19 ends. If we haven’t paid you at least $1 in the 6 fortnights before 16 April 2021, we’ll cancel your payment. This will apply to all customers, except those getting Disability Support Pension (DSP).

    If your own income reduces your DSP rate to nil for your maximum period, we’ll suspend your DSP for up to 2 years.

    Read more about JobKeeper Payment and income support payments.

More information

You can also read more reminders and updates for families impacted by COVID-19 including:

Visit all families news for regular updates about families payments. Don’t forget to subscribe if you want updates sent directly to your mailbox.

You can also read more about other changes to families payments on our website.

Page last updated: 8 January 2021