Income compliance refund reviews and appeals
If you disagree with a decision we’ve made about your income compliance refund, you can ask us to review our decision. You also have the right to appeal all decisions.
You can seek a review from 27 July if you either:
- don’t agree with the amount of your refund
- think you should get a refund but we have said you don’t have an eligible debt
- disagree with any other decision we’ve made regarding your income compliance debt.
To do this:
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink
- Select Payments and Claims – Manage payments from the menu
- Select Income Compliance refund query
- Answer any questions we ask and select Submit.
Income compliance refunds
The majority of Centrelink debts don’t relate to the Income Compliance Program.
You’ll only be eligible for a refund if you made repayments to a debt raised using income averaging from Australian Tax Office income information.
If you paid a debt that didn’t use averaged Australian Tax Office income information, you won’t get a refund.
If you already had your income compliance debt reviewed, you may have already either:
- received a refund
- or had your debt reduced to zero.
If you need further information, read more about compliance refunds.
If you can’t find the information you need or need help, call our compliance helpdesk on 1800 171 846.
You can ask for a review of any other decision about your Centrelink payments, Medicare debt or child support. Read more about reviews and appeals.
Page last updated: 13 July 2020
This information was printed 3 August 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/information-about-refunds-income-compliance-program/income-compliance-refund-reviews-and-appeals. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.