Indigenous Australians looking for work, studying or training

We can help if you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian looking for work. We can also help if you want to study or train to find a job.

When you're looking for work

There are payments to give you income support while you're looking for work or studying.

If you’re claiming JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance, we’ll refer you to an employment services provider. They can help you find a job.

Employment services


The jobactive service helps connect you with employers and find work. We can refer you to a provider in your local area.

You can start looking for work now. Go to the jobactive website.

You can also read more about jobactive on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s website.

Disability Employment Services (DES)

DES helps you find and keep a job if you have a disability, illness or an injury.

Community Development Program (CDP)

This program supports job seekers in remote Australia. It can help you get the right skills for local jobs.

Read about the CDP on the National Indigenous Australians Agency website.

Transition to Work (TtW)

Transition to Work supports young people aged 15 to 21 to build your skills and confidence to find any of these:

  • work
  • study opportunities
  • apprenticeships
  • traineeships.

To find a provider, go to the jobactive website.

You can also read more about Transition to Work on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s website.

When you're a student or an apprentice

You may be able to get a payment if you’re studying or training.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local government school. To get this, your child must meet 1 of the following:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have disability
  • have special needs.

Relocation Scholarship is a payment you get once a year. You may get it if you need to move from a regional or remote area for higher education study. To be eligible, you must get 1 of these:

  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Energy Supplement.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan. You can get this loan up to twice a year if you’re an eligible higher education student.

What other services are available

We can also help you stay in control of your finances while you’re studying or training or looking for work.

Read about how to manage your money while you:

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. These organisations can give you support and information.

JobAccess provides advice and information to help people with disability find a job.

The website lets you know about Indigenous initiatives and programs such as:

  • early childhood
  • schooling
  • health and safety.

myfuture can help you to make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

Australian Apprenticeships has information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

MoneySmart helps you make the most of your money. Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.

beyondblue provides knowledge and skills so you can protect your own mental health. It doesn’t matter how old you are or where you live. They can help if you’re experiencing anxiety or stress while looking for work or studying.

StudyAssist details Australian Government assistance to finance your tertiary study and VET Student Loans.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 20 March 2020