Disabled, ill or injured and looking for work

We provide financial support and help to people with disability, illness or injury. This support can help you study or find and keep a job.

Financial help

Mobility Allowance helps you work, study or look for work if you have a disability, illness or injury. It can help with costs if you need extra help to use public transport.

Sickness Allowance helps if you have a job, but can’t work for a while due to illness, injury or disability. You may get Sickness Allowance if you’re a full time student who can’t study due to disability, illness or injury.

Pensioner Education Supplement can help you find a job by doing further study. It assists with the costs of full time or part time study in an approved course.

It’s important you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means you get the right payment from us.

Child support

If you pay or get child support, changes in your life may affect the amount you pay or get.

To update your child support details:

Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Employment Services Providers

We may refer you to one of these Employment Services Providers:

  • jobactive
  • Disability Employment Services
  • Community Development Program, if you live in a remote area.

Read more about:

We can refer you to an provider in your area. They can help you access:

  • jobs in your area
  • job search help, training and equipment such as computers, telephones and stationery.

Work Assist can help if you’re at risk of losing your job due to illness, injury or disability.

You can access this free program via a Disability Employment Services provider. You don’t need to be getting a payment from us to access the service.

Supported Wage System

You can increase your chance of getting a job under the Supported Wage System. Your employer can pay you a productivity-based wage if you have disability.

Read more about the Supported Wage System on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.

Wage subsidies

Disability Employment Services supports employers to hire people with disability

Read more about wage subsidies on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.

Other government and community support services

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area.

National Relay Service is a free telephone service if you’re deaf, hearing or speech impaired. It can help you make a call through a third person.

Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Support pays employers who employ apprentices with disability.

Australian Disability Enterprises has jobs for people with disability.

Employment Assistance Fund helps employers of people with disability and mental health conditions. It pays for workplace modifications or services for these employees.

This can help if you:

  • are about to start a job
  • are currently working
  • need help to find and prepare for work.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) helps people with disability achieve their goals including independence, community involvement, education, employment, health and wellbeing.

JobAccess offers help for people with disability looking for work and their employers.

Health Direct informs you about how to improve your health and wellbeing.

It may be helpful to talk to someone about your mental health if you have depression, anxiety or stress.

MoneySmart helps you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 20 February 2020