If you need to access our services

How and where you can access our services.

We’re experiencing a high demand for our services. You don’t need to go to a service centre. You can get a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) and an online account with myGov.

If you can’t get your online account through myGov, you can phone us.

You can access our services in different ways. If you can use our online options, this may be the fastest way.

Keep up to date with any customer service changes.


If you haven’t already, create a myGov account so you can do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business with us online. This can help our staff help others with more complex needs.

If you haven’t got a Centrelink online account, you can establish your identity and get an account online with myGov or you can phone us to link your account.

You can claim most of our payments online.


We have phone lines to help you. We are experiencing increased wait times. It may take you a while to get through, please be patient.

The JobSeeker Phone line has extended opening hours from 8 am to 8 pm AEST Monday to Friday. 


Our service centres are open during our usual business hours. We may at times make changes to our opening times or temporarily close some offices. Keep up to date with any customer service changes.

We’re not holding appointments at service centres. If you have an appointment already booked, we’ll phone you instead.

We may need to control the flow of customers into the service centre. We’ve introduced distancing measures and display important health information about COVID-19 and reminders about good hygiene.

If you visit our service centres, our staff may ask you if you have recently returned from overseas.

They may also ask you if you’ve been in contact with someone who has coronavirus.

If you say yes, they’ll ask you to leave the service centre and use our online or phone services instead. Our staff will try to call you to check you were able to do what you needed to do.

You can also access our services through our national network of Agents and Access Points. They provide self service facilities for people in rural, regional and remote Australia.

Specialist services

Social work services

You can contact a social worker by calling us on the same number you use to call Centrelink and asking to speak with one. If you need an interpreter, let us know and we’ll arrange one for you. You can also call our Multilingual Phone Service.

Financial Information Service

We’ve suspended our Financial Information Service interviews in service centres and our FIS seminars to protect the health of our staff and customers. You can phone us to speak to a FIS Officer.

Mobile Service Centres

We’ve suspended our Mobile Service Centre visits to protect the health of our staff and customers.

Page last updated: 7 May 2020