Job seekers

Find out if there are changes to your payments and services due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

Additional payments

You may get the Coronavirus Supplement from late April 2020. You may also get the first Economic Support Payment. We'll pay this into your bank account automatically.

If you get the Coronavirus Supplement, you won’t get the second Economic Support Payment in July 2020.

Mutual obligation requirements

Mutual obligation requirements are restarting in a limited capacity from 9 June 2020.

This may apply if you get 1 of these:

  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Youth Allowance as a job seeker
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit.

From 9 June 2020, you need to attend at least 1 appointment with your employment services provider. You can do this online or over the phone.

Suspensions and penalties don’t currently apply if you can’t do these:

  • attend appointments with your provider
  • do the activities in your Job Plan.

We’ll let you know when this changes.

You still need to report your income every fortnight so we pay you the right amount. Tell us if you report the wrong income. Tell us about any changes in your circumstances. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt to pay back.

What exemptions may apply

We may be able to exempt you from your requirements if you’re impacted by coronavirus. If you’re in isolation at home, we’ll grant you an exemption for up to 14 days.

To get an exemption you need to tell us as soon as possible after you’ve isolated. Do this by calling us on your regular payment line. You need to tell us why you’re isolated, for example, if either of the following apply:

  • A doctor or government authority has told you to isolate yourself because of possible exposure to coronavirus.
  • You need to isolate yourself after reading the latest health alerts from the Department of Health.

You don’t need to give us proof to support your exemption. If you need to stay in isolation longer, call us on your regular payment line.

If you’re a principal carer you may also be exempt. You may be exempt if either:

  • your child’s childcare centre has closed
  • you’re caring for an adult with a disability or special needs whose day service or supported workplace premises closes.

You’ll need to call us on your regular payment line to let us know.

JobKeeper payment

If you or your partner get JobKeeper payment, you must report it to us if you also get JobSeeker Payment. Read about how to report income from JobKeeper payment.

JobKeeper payment is paid to your eligible employer by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Your employer will tell you if they’re eligible and pay you JobKeeper payment as part of your usual wages.

Talk to your employer to find out if they’re going to pay you through the JobKeeper Payment scheme. You don’t need to call or visit us.

Family and domestic violence

If you’re affected by family and domestic violence, we can help. We provide information, support and referrals.

Page last updated: 8 June 2020