If you get a payment from us now

How you repay money you owe if you get a payment from us.

Deducting from your payment

From the date your debt is due, we’ll start deducting money from a payment you get from us. You don’t need to do anything to set this up.

How much we deduct depends on which payment you get. For example, if you get an income support payment our standard deduction is 15%.

You can select Money you owe in your Centrelink online account through myGov or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to:

  • see how much we’re deducting
  • change the amount we deduct.

At any time, you can make extra payments towards the money you owe. This could be a regular payment or a one off payment.

Garnisheeing tax refunds

If you owe us money, we may ask the ATO to help us get it back. We can ask them to garnishee your tax refund. This means they will withhold or give us some or all of your tax refund or available credit. If we do, we’ll send you a letter to let you know.

Recovering debts for other Australian and New Zealand government departments

We may deduct money from your Centrelink payment to recover money you owe to other Australian Government departments. This includes the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

We also recover money on behalf of the Ministry of Social Development, New Zealand. We’ll let you know if we’re going to recover any overpayments from your income support payment.

Page last updated: 19 March 2021