Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Youth Allowance for students and apprentices when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, you need to be travelling for an approved reason. Otherwise, your payment will stop on departure.

You may get Youth Allowance because of a residence exemption available to some New Zealand citizens. If you do and your payment stops while you're overseas, you won't get the exemption again when you return.

What the approved reasons for payment overseas are

To get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice while overseas, you must both:

  • submit your claim before you leave
  • be travelling to continue studying or working.


If you're going to be studying outside Australia, you need to give us a statement from your Australian education institution. It must be on their letterhead and include all of the following:

  • your name, date of birth and student ID number
  • the course name and code you're enrolled in at your Australian institution
  • that you'll stay enrolled with your Australian institution
  • your study load at your Australian institution while you're overseas
  • the name of the overseas education institution
  • start and end dates for your overseas study – don't include overseas vacation periods after you complete your study
  • that your overseas study counts towards your Australian course.

Australian Apprentices

If you're an Australian Apprentice working or training overseas, we need a statement from your employer or State Training Authority. It must be on their letterhead and confirm both of these:

  • you're working or studying outside Australia
  • your overseas work or study counts towards your apprenticeship.

If you don't give us a written statement, your payment will stop when you leave Australia.

If you're not eligible for Youth Allowance before you leave Australia, you may be eligible when you return. You may need to submit a new claim when you return.

Other reasons

We may pay Youth Allowance outside Australia for up to 6 weeks for any of these approved reasons:

  • attend an acute family crisis – for example, to visit a family member who's critically ill
  • get eligible medical treatment not available in Australia.

If you're attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves, you can get your payment while you're training.

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you're leaving Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call the Youth and students line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2020