Travel outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia, you must remain eligible for Youth Allowance as a job seeker.

If you leave Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment stops when you depart.

If your travel is short term, it must be for an approved reason. If not, your payment stops when you depart.

If you only get Youth Allowance because of a residence exemption available to some New Zealand citizens and your payment stops while you're overseas, you won't get the exemption again when you return to Australia.

You should always tell us if you're leaving Australia. The easiest way to tell us your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Approved reasons for travel

You may get Youth Allowance for up to 6 weeks:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to immediate visit a family member who's critically ill
  • to get eligible medical treatment not available in Australia, or
  • if you're a job seeker travelling for humanitarian reasons, for example, to adopt a child

If you're attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves, you can get your payment while you're training.

If you're not eligible for Youth Allowance before you leave Australia, you may be eligible when you return. You may need to submit a new claim when you return.

Page last updated: 23 July 2021