Supporting documents

When claiming Youth Allowance there’s information and documents you’ll need to complete your claim.

What common documents are

These are the documents you’ll usually need to answer questions in the claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process.

As you complete your claim you’ll answer questions that trigger requests for certain documents or information. Below are documents we usually ask for, you may not need all of them.

We may also ask you to confirm details your education provider tells us about your study. We get this information from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.

You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim. You won’t need to supply documents, you can do this over the phone.

We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you need to give to us. We list these as required in your claim.

Documents Details

You'll need your tax file number. If you don’t have a TFN, you can apply to get one free on the ATO website.

If you’re claiming as a dependant, your parents or guardians will need to supply their income details. Your parent or guardian can do this online using the Advise Parental Income service.

You won't need to supply documents, but you'll still need to provide these details to complete your claim:

  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • superannuation
  • investments
  • income and assets including real estate assets.

We'll ask you to provide or confirm:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship and enrolment details.
Employment or work

If you’ve lost your job, you may need to give us an employment separation certificate and payslips.

You may also need to tell us about any income you’re paid, from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • other income such as rent from an investment property.

You may able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.

Living arrangements

You need to tell us about:


Tell us about your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.
Independence If you’re younger than 22 and meet the criteria for independence you may need to provide proof of this. Read more about being dependent or independent for Youth Allowance and what proof you may need to give us.

What other documents you may need

As well as some of the common documents, you might need to complete and submit these documents.

Your situation Forms you may need to complete
You have paid superannuation Superannuation details
You have trusts, companies, assets, investments, bonds or shares Statements or information about these
Share of a property's asset value and income Real estate details form
You have a private company Private Company details form
You have a private trust Private Trust details form

When to provide documents

You’ll need to give us the required documents on your Next steps page in your online claim. You’ll need to provide these before you can submit your claim.

Other documents we may need we'll list as supplementary. You should try to provide your supplementary documents to us at the same time as your required documents. You have up to 14 days after you submit your claim to give them to us. We might be able to process your claim quicker if you give them to us at the same time.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances.

If we need more documents from you after you’ve submitted your claim, we’ll ask you for them. We’ll hold your claim until you send us the documents. If you don’t provide them within 14 days of the request, we may reject your claim.

How to submit your documents

We encourage you not to come to a service centre during this period. You can make updates online. You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. You can also send them by mail or fax.

Page last updated: 4 March 2021