Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Widow Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, we can pay you for your first 6 weeks overseas.

We may be able to pay you for more than 6 weeks. But you must be studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us you’re leaving Australia if any of these apply. You:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks.

You should also tell us if you’re travelling and both of these apply:

  • we’ve approved paying you as a single person when you have a partner
  • you’re leaving Australia to spend time with your partner.

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us on the Employment services line and say Widow Allowance, to discuss your circumstances further.

When you leave

Your rate of Widow Allowance generally won’t change if you travel outside Australia temporarily for less than 6 weeks.

If we can pay you for more than 6 weeks, your rate will generally change after 6 weeks.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 4 December 2020