What it is

A short term payment to help you following the Victorian storms and floods.

Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is a short term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income.

You can get it for a maximum of 13 weeks. We’ll pay this from the date you started losing income as a direct result of the Victorian storms and floods in June 2021.

DRA is a taxable payment. You can ask us to withhold voluntary tax deductions from your payments.

Read about paying tax on a Centrelink payment.

If you get DRA you might be able to get Beneficiary Tax Offset. This may reduce the amount of tax you pay.

Read more about the Beneficiary Tax Offset on the Australian Tax Office website.

You may also be eligible for Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

If you’re a New Zealand citizen living in Australia, check to see if you’re eligible for:

Next: Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get Disaster Recovery Allowance.

Page last updated: 21 June 2021