Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

To get it, you or a dependent child you’re a principal carer for must meet all of the following:

  • you’re an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
  • you meet Local Government Area (LGA) requirements
  • you’re claiming this payment for the Victorian Storms and Floods, June 2021 for the first time.

You must be 16 or older at the time of the storms and floods or getting a social security payment.

You or a dependent child you’re a principal carer for, must have been seriously affected by the storms and floods. For example:

  • you were seriously injured
  • you're the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • the flood caused major damage to your home.

If you’re part of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

You can't claim on behalf of a person who has died, or their estate.

What these terms mean

For this payment, we use the following definitions.

Principal place of residence

Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or licence to live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.

Major asset

A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.

Principal carers of children

You’re a principal carer of a child if the child’s 15 or younger and dependent on you. That means you have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

Major damage

Examples of major damage to your principal place of residence can include:

  • it's been destroyed or must be demolished
  • it’s been declared structurally unsound
  • this disaster has caused major damage to the interior
  • this disaster has exposed the interior to the elements
  • sewage has gotten inside your home
  • this disaster has significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.
Next: How much you can get

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment.

Page last updated: 21 June 2021