Who can get it
If you're a student getting Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you might be able to get a Student Start-up Loan.
To get the Student Start-up Loan, you must do all of the following:
- get Youth Allowance as a student, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- study a Student Start-up Loan approved course
- apply during the loan period and at least 35 days before your course ends.
Who can’t get it
You can’t get the Student Start-up Loan if, for the same loan period, you get either a:
- Student Start-up Scholarship paid by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship paid by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
You must be studying a Student Start-up Loan approved course to be eligible for the loan.
If you’re claiming Youth Allowance as a student, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you can apply for the Student Start-up Loan during your claim.
Page last updated: 8 December 2020
This information was printed 19 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/student-start-loan/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.