Change of circumstances

You need to tell us quickly if there’s a change to any of the details you gave us. Changes can affect your payment.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if there are changes to any of the following circumstances:

  • you change or correct your name
  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your visa status
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for any children in your care
  • your work status
  • your accommodation details
  • you or your partner's income or assets, for example if you get a lump sum payment.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away. If you don’t, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.

How to tell us

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances by calling the Multilingual phone service line. The first voice that answers will ask which language you want. Say SRSS twice instead of naming your language.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:

  • an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
  • your consent to verify the document.

You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.

You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the website.

Page last updated: 17 February 2021