Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce, increase or stop your Special Benefit payment.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

You need to tell us if there are changes to any of these details:

  • relationship status
  • address
  • income
  • account balance and whether this goes above the allowable limit
  • eligibility to lodge a tax return
  • care arrangements
  • work or study load
  • visa.

There are other changes of circumstances you need to tell us about.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to do both of the following:

  • tell us within 14 days of the change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

It’s never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 25 October 2019