Confirm or update your employment details

We regularly check your details to make sure you get the right payment amount.

What you need to do if we send you a letter

We’re sending a letter to some people who get Sickness Allowance asking them to confirm or update their employment status. If we’ve sent you a letter, you’ll find it in your myGov Inbox or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. If you have a nominee and they do not get their letters online, we’ll send them a paper letter.

We’re sending these letters to check you’re on the right payment.

What happens if you don’t confirm or update your details

You must confirm or update your employment details by the date in the letter. If you don’t we may suspend or cancel your payment.

What to do if you need more time

If you need more time, you can ask us for an extension. To request a 14 day extension please call the number in your letter. You can only do this once.

What happens next

We use the information you give us to check you’re getting the right payment.

After we complete the check, we’ll tell you about the outcome in a letter. You’ll get this letter to your myGov Inbox or Centrelink letters online. The outcome may be:

  • your payment amount changes
  • your payment stays the same
  • you’re no longer eligible for the payment.

If you’re no longer eligible, we’ll either suspend or cancel your payment. Keep in mind you’ll need to pay back money you owe.

If we’ve paid you too much, you may have a debt. If this happens, we’ll send you a letter to explain:

  • why the debt occurred
  • how much it is
  • how to make repayments
  • how to ask us to review our decision.

If you’re not eligible for Sickness Allowance, you may be eligible for a different payment. Use Payment and Service Finder to find other payments you can apply for.

How to appeal our decision

You may not agree with the outcome of our check. You have the right to ask us to review our decision. You can do this by writing to us, calling your regular payment line or visiting a service centre.

Where to get help

If you have any questions about this letter, please call us on the number in your letter. You can call us Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.00 pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time. Call charges may apply. You must call your regular payment line for all other enquiries. This includes if you need to tell us you’re no longer in a relationship.

Call our Centrelink Indigenous phone service if you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian.

To talk to us in your language, call the Multilingual Phone Service to speak with bilingual service officers.

Page last updated: 20 February 2020