Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Sickness Allowance.

If you don’t tell us when changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if there are changes to your:

  • employment status, including if you no longer have a job to return to or your contracted hours have changed, for example from full-time to part-time
  • self-employment status including your business contract
  • medical condition and you’ve returned to work or study
  • study load
  • personal circumstances
  • address
  • income
  • tax return
  • care arrangements.

How and when to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days of a change
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

It’s never too late to report a change.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.

If you don't tell us about changes in your life on purpose, we could charge you with fraud.

Read about how to avoid committing fraud.

Page last updated: 30 September 2019