Special rules if you get Youth Allowance
To get Rent Assistance with Youth Allowance, you must meet some special rules.
When you live with your parents
If you live with your parents or guardians 1 of the following must apply, you:
- care or have cared for a dependent child
- are or were in a relationship that qualified you as independent for Youth Allowance.
When you don’t live with your parents
If you don’t live with your parents or guardians 1 of the following must apply. You’re:
- eligible for the away from home rate of Youth Allowance.
The away from home rate of Youth Allowance if you’re either:
- living away from home to study, do your Australian Apprenticeship or train
- living away from home to look for work.
Page last updated: 15 January 2020
This information was printed 11 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/rent-assistance/who-can-get-it/special-rules-if-you-get-youth-allowance. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.