Special rules if you get ABSTUDY Living Allowance
To get Rent Assistance with ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you must meet some special rules.
To get Rent Assistance with ABSTUDY Living Allowance you must not be studying at Masters or Doctorate level.
When you live with your parents
If you live with your parents or guardians and you’re younger than 22, 1 of the following must apply:
- you care or have cared for a dependent child
- you are or were in a relationship that qualified you as independent
- you’re living in an Aboriginal community after a non-Aboriginal family adopted or fostered you.
If you live with your parents or guardians and you’re 22, 23 or 24, 1 of the following must apply:
- you care for a dependent child
- you’re a member of a couple.
When you don’t live with your parents
If you don’t live with your parents 1 of the following must apply, you’re:
- eligible for the away from home rate of ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
Page last updated: 15 January 2020
This information was printed 11 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/rent-assistance/who-can-get-it/special-rules-if-you-get-abstudy-living-allowance. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.