Who can get it

There are 2 ways to get Remote Area Allowance.

Option 1

You can get it if you get an income support payment and live in a remote area.

Option 2

You can get it if you moved to a remote area, and will stay longer than 12 months.

Remote area

Tax zones define remote areas. The Tax Office determines tax zones. The Australian zone list on the Australian Taxation website will tell you if you live in a remote area. These include:

Can’t get it

You can't get it if you either:


You can get this allowance for 8 weeks from the date you leave your usual home if you:

The 8 week limit doesn’t apply to ABSTUDY secondary school students.


You don’t need to claim this allowance.

We’ll check if you can get it when you either:

  • get your income support payment
  • move to an eligible tax zone.

If you can get it, we’ll tell you when your payment starts and how much you get.

Page last updated: 6 November 2019