Who can get it

You need to meet eligibility requirements to get Partner Allowance.

Partner Allowance closed to new claimants on 20 September 2003.

To keep getting your Partner Allowance, all of the following must apply:

  • you’re born on or before 1 July 1955
  • you’re a member of a couple
  • your partner was getting an income support payment when you claimed
  • you haven’t worked at least 20 hours a week, for 13 weeks or more in the last 12 months
  • you meet residence rules.

We’ll cancel your payment if these no longer apply to you.

You may be eligible to claim another payment. You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see what payments you may be able to get.

Dependent children under 8

If you care for dependent children under 8, you may be eligible to get Parenting Payment.

If you’re eligible, you must transfer from Partner Allowance to Parenting Payment.

Page last updated: 19 August 2020