Travel outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for Partner Allowance.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, we’ll continue paying you for your first 6 weeks overseas.

We may pay you for more than 6 weeks if both of these apply:

  • you’re studying outside Australia
  • your study is part of an approved full time Australian course.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you're leaving Australia and you’re either:

  • going to live in another country
  • leaving Australia for more than 6 weeks.

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving. Australia's immigration department will tell us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 19 August 2020