Travel outside Australia
We may continue to pay Parenting Payment if you leave Australia for a short time. You must keep meeting Parenting Payment rules at all times.
What the rules are
There are rules about when we can and cannot pay you outside Australia.
We can pay you
We can pay you for the first 6 weeks if you or your children leave Australia temporarily.
We can pay you for more than 6 weeks if any of the following apply. You:
- are studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course
- are attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves
- or your children move to a country covered under an international social security agreement.
International social security agreements
Australia has an international social security agreement with some countries. If you travel to a country with an agreement that covers Parenting Payment Single, we may pay you indefinitely.
You have to be a widow to get the payment under an agreement. Some agreements have other rules that you’ll also need to meet.
We can’t pay you
Your Parenting Payment will stop if you or your children leave Australia either:
- to live in another country
- for more than 6 weeks, return home, but leave again within 6 weeks.
When to tell us about your travel
You must tell us if any of these apply:
- you or your children are going to live in another country
- you or your children are leaving Australia for more than 6 weeks
- we stopped your payment during your last overseas trip and you've been back in Australia for less than 6 weeks
- you get paid under an international social security agreement.
You must also tell us if you’re travelling and both of these apply:
- we’ve approved paying you as a single person when you have a partner
- you're leaving Australia to spend time with your partner.
Otherwise you don’t need to tell us about your travel. Australia’s immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.
Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.
If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:
When you leave
Your payment rate may change while you’re overseas.
Rate while overseas
Parenting Payment and Pension Supplement rates generally don't change if you leave Australia for less than 6 weeks.
If you’re eligible for more than 6 weeks of payment, your rate will change either:
- after 6 weeks if you're going temporarily
- on departure from Australia if you're leaving to live in another country.
This means you’ll get your pension at an outside Australia rate.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.
To get your payment or concession card while outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for that payment or concession card.
Page last updated: 13 March 2020
This information was printed 1 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/parenting-payment/how-manage-your-payment/travel-outside-australia. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.