Travel outside Australia

There are rules about how long we can pay your Parental Leave Pay when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, you’ll continue to get your payment if any of these apply. You:

You must also remain qualified and your absence must not exceed 56 weeks.

We may pay you outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks. This is if you hold 1 of the following visas:

  • a Partner Provisional visa subclass 309 or visa subclass 820
  • a Safe Haven Enterprise visa subclass 790
  • a Temporary Protection visa subclass 785 granted on or after 16 December 2014.

You must also be overseas for 1 of the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis – for example to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • for humanitarian reasons – for example to adopt a child or attend custody proceedings
  • to get eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia.

If you leave Australia without an approved reason, your payment will stop when you leave and cannot restart.

We can’t pay most temporary protection type visa holders Parental Leave Pay outside Australia for any reason.

If you leave Australia and your Parental Leave Pay stops, we can’t restart it when you return to Australia. This is even if it stops for 1 day.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you’re leaving Australia for any of the following reasons. You:

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us that you’re leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department will advise us when you leave Australia and when you return.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 12 March 2020