Who can get it

You must meet eligibility rules to get the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment.

You must meet all of the following:

  • you’re 16 years or older at the time of the disaster or getting a social security payment
  • you meet local government area requirements
  • you haven’t already got a New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment for New South Wales Floods, March 2021
  • you're a non-protected SCV (subclass 444) holder and a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991
  • you've paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past 3 financial years or will do so before 29 March 2022.

You also must have been adversely affected by the disaster. For example:

  • you were seriously injured
  • you're the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • you're the principal carer of a dependent child who’s experienced any of the above
  • the flood significantly damaged your principal place of residence.

Examples of significant damage to your principal place of residence can include:

  • it’s been declared structurally unsound, destroyed or must be demolished
  • there’s been major damage to the interior
  • it’s been affected by sewage contamination or is exposed to the elements
  • a major asset or assets you own at your property has or have been destroyed or suffered major damage from the flood.

For this payment:

  • Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.
  • A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.
  • You’re a principal carer of a child who is your dependent and hasn’t turned 16. You must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

You can’t claim on behalf of a person who has died or their estate.

Next: How much you can get

The New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment.

Page last updated: 20 April 2021