Who can get it
You must meet eligibility rules to get the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment.
You must meet all of the following:
- you’re 16 years or older at the time of the disaster or getting a social security payment
- you meet local government area requirements
- you haven’t already got a New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment for New South Wales Floods, March 2021
- you're a non-protected SCV (subclass 444) holder and a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991
- you've paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past 3 financial years or will do so before 29 March 2022.
You also must have been adversely affected by the disaster. For example:
- you were seriously injured
- you're the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
- you're the principal carer of a dependent child who’s experienced any of the above
- the flood significantly damaged your principal place of residence.
Examples of significant damage to your principal place of residence can include:
- it’s been declared structurally unsound, destroyed or must be demolished
- there’s been major damage to the interior
- it’s been affected by sewage contamination or is exposed to the elements
- a major asset or assets you own at your property has or have been destroyed or suffered major damage from the flood.
For this payment:
- Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.
- A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.
- You’re a principal carer of a child who is your dependent and hasn’t turned 16. You must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.
If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.
You can’t claim on behalf of a person who has died or their estate.
The New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment.
Page last updated: 20 April 2021
This information was printed 13 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/new-south-wales-floods-march-2021-new-zealand-disaster-recovery-payment/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.