Who can get it

You need to meet eligibility rules to get New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance.

To get it, you must:

  • be a non-protected SCV (subclass 444) holder and a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991, and
  • have paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past three financial years or will do so before 29 March 2022.

You must also meet all of the following. You:

  • were 16 or older at the time of the disaster
  • work or live in an affected Local Government Area (LGA)
  • lost income as a direct result of the disaster
  • earn less than the average weekly income in the weeks after you had this income loss.

If you’re between 16 and 21 years old, we must consider you to be independent to get this payment.

We’ll look at all of the following:

  • your income
  • your personal circumstances
  • if you’re dependent on anyone, such as an adult who has legal responsibility for your care and provides financial assistance.

We use Australian Bureau of Statistics figures to work out average weekly income. This equates to $1713.90 per week from 1 January 2021.

You can’t get NZ DRA if you get any of the following payments during your claim period:

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

Next: How much you can get

How much you get depends on your circumstances.

Page last updated: 30 March 2021