How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance.

Steps to claim New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance


    1. Get ready to claim

    The fastest way to claim is over the phone. 

    To claim, either:

    Read more about our Emergency Information line and opening hours.

    Call us on 131 202 to talk to us in languages other than English.


    2. Get your documents ready

    We'll ask you to give us evidence to support the claimed loss of income.

    If you don’t have these documents, call us on 180 22 66. You may also need to prove your identity. We’ll tell you how to do it during the claim process.

    You will need to give us 1 document showing Proof of Birth or Proof of Arrival in Australia. Or, you can provide any other approved documents that add up to the value of 50 points. For example a:

    • driver licence - 40 points
    • bank card or bank statement - 40 points
    • Medicare card - 20 points.

    If you have a partner

    We need your partner’s details to make sure we pay you the right amount. If we don’t already have your partner’s information they can call us on 180 22 66.

    If they can’t call us you can both complete a partner details form.


    3. Submit your claim

    Remember, the fastest way to claim is over the phone.

    If you print and complete a claim form, you can submit it and any supporting documents by either by:

    • faxing them to 1300 727 760
    • by posting them to:
    Emergency Processing Centre
    Reply Paid 7815
    Canberra BC ACT 2610

    Please make sure your name is on your supporting documents so we can identify them.

What evidence you need to provide

We’ll ask you to give us evidence of your loss of income.

If you earn a salary or wage we’ll ask you for documents that show your income for the 4 weeks before the flood.

If your income changes each week we will ask you to show your income for the 8 weeks before the flood.

Evidence can include any of the following:

  • pay slips from your employer
  • bank statements showing previous bank deposits from your employer
  • a letter from your employer.

If you’re a farmer or you have a small business we'll ask you to show us as many of these documents as possible:

  • profit and loss statements
  • income tax returns
  • other documents that show cash flow such as a bank statement for your business
  • trust or partnership tax return.

If you don’t have evidence, call us on 180 22 66.

Next: How to manage your payment

You need to report any changes to you circumstances.

Page last updated: 31 March 2021