Change of circumstances
We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Mobility Allowance payment.
What to tell us
You must tell us if any of the following happen:
- you change or correct your name
- you change address
- your bank details change
- you get funded support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- you get a car from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs under their Vehicle Assistance Scheme, or Motor Vehicle Compensation Scheme
- your work status changes, including changes to the hours you work
- your training changes, including any changes to your hours
- you stop looking for work with your Employment Services Provider
- you stop travel for work, training, or to look for work
- you’re leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- you're imprisoned.
You have 14 days to tell us about any changes. If you don’t do this, we may pay you too much and you’ll have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud. We may impose a recovery fee if you give us incorrect information about your employment income.
If you stop your qualifying activity, you may still get Mobility Allowance for a short time. This is known as a grace period.
Qualifying activities include:
- looking for work.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the Disability, sickness and cares line.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
Page last updated: 16 April 2021
This information was printed 11 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/mobility-allowance/how-manage-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.