Prove your identity

You need to prove your identity before you claim a payment or service.

If you want to claim a payment, you need a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN). You can get a CRN by proving who you are with us, either:

What happens if you have an authorised nominee

If you have a nominee dealing with us on your behalf, they can contact us to prove who you are. If we can verify your nominee over the phone, we’ll accept your identity details from them. We’ll let your nominee know if we need any further information.

When you need to prove your partner’s identity

Your partner also needs to prove their identity with us, if you’re claiming one of the following:

They can do this over the phone.

Page last updated: 24 November 2021